Friday, September 16, 2011

Wife Appreciation Day


Monday, September 18th, is Wife Appreciation Day.

And I, for one, plan to milk it for all it's worth.

I mean, it's not every day you get to rest between laundry, dishes, mowing, gardening, mending, cooking, cleaning, dusting, ironing and sweeping. Why not take full advantage of this one itty bitty day a year to fully enjoy the benefits contained within?

I'm already fantasizing about how the TV remote will feel in my hands. It looks so neat from afar- all those light-up buttons and controls...I'm even studying the movie guide to decide which chick flicks I'm going to be watching all the live-long day. Of course, the whole time I will be partaking in freshly prepared snacks from my husband's own hands- delivered to the recliner with a cold drink and a smile.

I just can't imagine getting out of bed Monday and not having to make it! How long will those sheets stay crumpled ?
Will my husband even attempt to smooth out the quilt and fluff the pillows?

And what about the dirty clothes? Does he even know how to run the washer? Will he find the detergent? Does he know to add the fabric softener and clean the dryer lint trap?
Will he separate the whites from the colors? Will he pre-soak, treat the stains and remove everything from the dryer before it wrinkles?

I'm letting him do the grocery shopping that day, too. Why not let him have the honor of an afternoon of pure hell?
Except I'm not sure he even knows where the grocery store is. Unless they sell hunting license, beer, and guitar picks- he has no clue.
My husband thinks you can still buy a gallon of milk for a $1.50, that Hamburger Helper tastes okay without the hamburger, and that dishwasher soap is a luxury that no woman really needs.

I'm skipping the vacuuming Monday, too.
I can't wait till he has to lug out that fifty pound, dust spitting monster and sweep every corner of this house while the cord is wrapping around his ankles and pulling free of the outlet every minute or so.

Cooking? I know he can do it. At least I'm fairly sure. I kinda remember an egg he fried back in 1978.

On second thought... maybe I just better settle for roses and a Hallmark card.

5 comments:

Dee said...

LOL! Wife appreciation day, eh? Hmmmm.....

Margaret Hall said...

Great, great post, and funnnnnny~!! Love your wit, Rae! Same here, except----drum roll----Jer MAKES THE BED while I make coffee, fix whatever~! A ritual that makes it quicker to get him off to work after the alarm is 5am...
Fun to come here to Blogarita, always a treat!
Hugs...

Anonymous said...

fabulous,,, i vote for Wifes day Sept l8, Im going to milk it for all its worth too, heck l7th is my 73rd. birthdya and im gonna play that up to the hilt. hehehehe im sleeping till noon Monday,,,,, not combing hair, or get dressed, oops that might call for divorce, hahah , ill try to be nice and cook at least one egg, hahahahahahhah lov eyour blog rae barb

Anonymous said...

Nobody told me it was wife appreciation day. You can bet I'm marking THAT on the calendar for next year.

Diann said...

I can't believe that I missed this very important day! We should have a do-over several times a month celebrating Wife day!