Tuesday, September 20, 2011

This September Morning


There is a misty fog this morning. A soft ghostly light that dances on the pond and obscures the trees in shadows. I can't help but feel autumn sneaking up on me- fragrant with the smell of sassafras and straw- blowing a cool wind that catches in my hair and makes me shiver.

I may mow the yard for the last time today. It's gone to seed. The wisps of tall stems bending after yesterday's rain- spots of Black-eyed Susan's popping up in the fence rows- maple leaves already turning  rusty on the horizon.

Wasn't it just yesterday that daffodils dotted the flower bed and grass grew as thick and green as a jungle? Wasn't I loving the heat from the sun, the song of the birds, the freedom from winter? And now, I am sliding back down the wrong side of the see-saw. The ride is over. Summer is leaving.

I've already washed my favorite sweater- my faded sweat pants. I've stocked the cabinet with hot cocoa, flavored coffee and pumpkin bars. I'm visioning beef stew, thick dumplings, cheesy chili and vegetable soup. I'm wearing socks again, buying new slippers, breaking out the soft throws and warmer blankets. I'm preparing for what I cannot change...

Yet, I love autumn. Like a palette of vibrant colors, it is a delight to the senses- filling my eyes with purple sunsets and my nostrils with hints of cinnamon and cider. I relax. Let the air surround me- embrace me- fill me with gratitude. I dream. Pause. Think upon my life and all that is in it. I grasp these mornings- these slices of miracles- these days that fade away all too soon...

I drink my second cup of coffee- see the glow of a sunrise just forming beyond the pine trees- hear a song bird awakening in treetop. A streak of orange breaks through the fog, followed by a shade of lavender. The neighbor's white cows dance in the field- their silhouettes still shaded in darkness-

and I begin my day.  

6 comments:

Dee said...

Absolutely lovely, Rae. :) The itty bitty (and it is VERY small) bit of homesickness I feel is made better by reading posts like this and knowing that life in the midwest is going on as usual.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful I am there with you wrapped in a warm blanket with a cup of steaming hot coffee in my hands, watching the cows dance. Foggy fall mornings.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful description of a wonderful fall day in Illinois. I look at the squirels scurring to hide the acorn nuts for winter and think, where did my summer go? I suppose it was spent moving and trying to make a new home for Paul and I and to fill it with lots of love and happiness. Glad your back to blogging girl. thanks for the wonderful birthday card. I loved it......... barb

Gail Wilson said...

It is wonderful to see you again and I will think of you every time I sip a cup of hot chocolate...my favorite way to warm myself on a cold winter day. And I will imagine you too are enjoying the same way of warming your soul as I am at that moment.
Warm hugs to you, Gail

sisterlinda said...

I also am looking forward to this Fall weather. I love the smell of pumpkin spices, filling the room, and the smell and taste of pumpkin spiced coffee. I love gazing across the road looking at the many fall colors appearing on the trees. Fall is my favorite time of year. Time to get busy and get things done because Fall is folowing by the lazy time of year...Winter.

sisterlinda said...

I also am looking forward to this Fall weather. I love the smell of pumpkin spices, filling the room, and the smell and taste of pumpkin spiced coffee. I love gazing across the road looking at the many fall colors appearing on the trees. Fall is my favorite time of year. Time to get busy and get things done because Fall is folowing by the lazy time of year...Winter.